History

Prehistoric Age

About 110 dolmens and 60 menhirs have been discovered in this area. Particularly, a northern region type dolmen is located in Sanggeumgok-ri, Yongmun-myeon.

The Three Kingdoms Period

Located at the northern end of the Shilla dynasty and named Suju-hyeon. Renamed as Yecheon-gun with Yeongan (Pungsan), Anin, Gayu (Sanyang) and Eunjeong (Sang-ri, Ha-ri) it was subordinated in 757 (during the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok, Shilla Dynasty).

The Goryeo Period

Renamed Boju in 936 (the 18th year of King Taejo), then Yangyang in 983 (the 2nd year of King Seongjong), it was also called Cheongha of Yeongnam-do in 995 (the 14th year of Seongjong). Under the provincial system of 1 Gyeong (capital), 5 Do and 2 Gye in 1018 (9th year of King Hyeonjong), Boju was a part of Andongyeong-jisabu, Yongju-gun to Sangju-mok renamed as Yongjung-gun and Gamcheon-hyeon to Andong-bu. The house of the Crown Prince was built in front of Yongmun-sa (Buddhist Temple) and a governor was stationed here when it was renamed Giyang in 1172 (2nd year of King Myeongjong). A governor was also sent to Yonggung-gun. Giyang-hyeon was again upgraded to Boju in 1204 (7th year of King Shinjong). General Yim Jihan conquered the rebel Choi Sa in 1274 (15th year of King Wonjong) and Dain-hyeon came under the jurisdiction of Sangju-mok, which belonged to Yecheon-gun until 1906 (10th year of Gwangmu).

The Joseon period

Renamed Boju-gun in 1413 (13th year of King Taejong) and returned to Yecheon-gun in 1416 (16th year of King Taejong). As the 8 Do province system began in 1896 (33rd year of King Gojong), it was renamed Yecheon-gun, Gyeongsang-bukdo with Gamcheon-hyeon of Andong-bu as a subordinate. Hwajang and Dongnoso belonged to Mungyeong-gun, while Dain-hyeon was part of Bian-hyeon in 1906 (10th year of Gwangmu).

The present age

  • Hwajang-myeon and Dongro-myeon came under the jurisdiction of Mungyeong-gun, and Dain-myeon belonged to Bian-gun in 1906.
  • After merging with Yonggung-gun in 1914, there were 10 myeons. The number of myeons increased to 12 when Sangri-myeon and Hari-myeon were subordinated.
  • Yecheon-myeon was upgraded to Yecheon-eup on July 1, 1937, and it became 1 eup and 11 myeons.
  • >Sang-dong of Gaepo-myeon became a part of Yecheon-eup on July 1, 1973 (Presidential decree No. 6542).
  • Macheon-dong of Bomun-myeon joined Gamcheon-myeon, and Gopyeong-dong became part of Yecheon-eup on February 15, 1983 (Presidential decree No. 11027).
  • Duin-dong in Yongmun-myeon was renamed Ducheon-dong on January 1, 1987.
  • The name ‘Dong’ was renamed ‘Ri’ on May 24, 1988. As part of Miseok 3 ri, Gamcheon-myeon became a part of Soryong-ri, Jangsu-myeon, Yeongpung-gun on January 1, 1989 (Presidential decree No. 12557 – December 12th, 1998).
  • Daeshim 1 ri was divided into 1 ri and 3 ri on January 1, 1990 (County ordinance No. 1251 – December 30th, 1989).
  • As of today, Yecheon-gun was set to 1 eup, 11 myeons, 173 (legal) ris and 265 ris (administrational).
  • Yeoncheon-ri was divided into Yeoncheon 1 ri and 2 ri on April 10, 1999 (County ordinance No. 1563).
  • The part of Wolpo-ri, Homyeong-myeon joined Cheonbok-ri, Yecheon-eup on October 1, 2000 (County ordinace No. 1629).
  • March 02: Renamed from Sang-ri, Yecheon-eup to Sangdong-ri, Yecheon-eup (County Ordinance no. 1844).

Introduction

This QR Code is URL of History page. http://www.ycg.kr/open.content/english/introduction/history/.

This QR Code is URL of <History page>